Tuesday, 3 January 2017

December Wrap-Up!

OK, I'm not going to lie, writing this after new year feels a bit blah - so I'll keep it snappy.

I had a wonderful launch event for my latest YA novel, PURGE, at my local library. It was so lovely to see people come out on a cold December evening to hear me be very geeky about my strange sci-fi story, and the staff at Prestatyn Library are always so enthusiastic and fun, it was pretty darned perfect.


Reading-wise, I chilled out a bit after my veritable reading storm of November, so ended up reading 5 last month. These are they:


I'll begin with MAGONIA by Maria Dahvana Headley, which I'd heard lots of people talking about when it first came out, but truly had no idea what to expect going in; I was pleasantly surprised. Aza has an incredibly rare lung condition which means she is living on borrowed time, and she's determined to make the most of it with her best friend and crush, Jason. But just when things seem to be going Aza's way, the worst happens: her time runs out. Except Jason isn't willing to say goodbye, not when a strange ship in the sky offers some hope they may see each other again... With plenty of fantasy and action, it switched up a gear from the very character-driven beginning, and the pace held true to the end. Weird and wonderful.

Next up, I decided it was time to get up to date with my Lockwood & Cos. THE HOLLOW BOY was an intense, angst-filled episode for Lucy the ghost-hunting crew, and THE CREEPING SHADOW saw Lucy finding out more about her special talents as she strikes out on her own. I really love this series by Jonathan Stroud, and can't wait for the fifth and final instalment.

I had 3 books on my wintry reads list, and managed to read 2 before the end of December. The first was the delightful THE SMELL OF OTHER PEOPLE'S HOUSES by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock, about a group of teens living in 1970s Alaska and the intricate ways their lives intertwine. The final book had been on my shelf for a couple of years, so it was high time I read Rachel Cohn & David Levithan's DASH AND LILY'S BOOK OF DARES. It was a smart, quick romance -- pretty much the ideal book to read at Christmastime.

Adventure-wise, I went on a ghost hunt, and visited a lighthouse. It was rather pretty.


A photo posted by Kat Ellis (@katelliswrites) on

I also wrote a couple of things online - a post about visiting locations in books for the Author Allsorts site, and an interview with The Book Activist about PURGE and Christmassy stuff.

So that was how I finished my year. Happy 2017 to all!

Kat out x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is for winners.