Tuesday, 4 October 2016

YA Scavenger Hunt - Fall 2016!




THE HUNT IS NOW OVER! Two thumbs up to all who entered, but it's too late now if you didn't...


Welcome, YA Scavenger Hunters! I'm Kat Ellis, your hostess for this leg of the hunt, and proud member of the RED TEAM.

This bi-annual event was first organised by author Colleen Houck as a way to give readers a chance to gain access to exclusive bonus material from their favourite authors...and a chance to win some awesome prizes! 


In this hunt, you not only get access to exclusive content from each author, you also get a clue to move forward in the hunt. Add up the clues on each blog, and you can enter for our prize--one lucky winner will receive one book from each author on the hunt in my team! But play fast: this contest (and all the exclusive bonus material) will only be online until noon pacific time on 9th October! If you'd like to find out more about the hunt, see links to all the authors participating, and see the full list of prizes up for grabs, go to the YA Scavenger Hunt page.


SCAVENGER HUNT PUZZLE

Directions: Below, you'll notice that I've hidden my favourite number. Collect the favourite numbers of all the authors on the red team, and then add them up (don't worry, you can use a calculator!). 

Entry Form: Once you've added up all the numbers, make sure you fill out the form here to officially qualify for the grand prize. Only entries that have the correct number will qualify.

Rules: Open internationally, anyone below the age of 18 should have a parent or guardian's permission to enter. To be eligible for the grand prize, you must submit the completed entry form by 9th October, at noon Pacific Time. Entries sent without the correct number or without contact information will not be considered. 


***

Somewhere on the hunt you will find some cool bonus content connected to my new book, PURGE -  but not here! You will need to keep looking through the other red team blogs to find it.

***


Today I'm hosting Cylin Busby, author of THE STRANGER GAME, which releases this month from HarperCollins.




When Nico's older sister, Sarah, mysteriously disappears, her family is devastated. After four years, everyone assumes Sarah is dead. Then, suddenly, she's back--but she's not the same Sarah she was before. In fact, Nico isn't sure this girl is Sarah at all...





Now read an excerpt of the book!


I knew my sister was dead. I felt it in my body, as if my bones could tell me the truth. They were, after all, her bones too. The same parents had created us, we carried the same DNA, the stuff that makes us who we are. I even looked like her; a little twin, a few years younger. And both of us were images of mom, or how she was in her high school yearbook, with long blond hair and hazel eyes.
When I looked in the mirror, I didn’t just see my own face but hers too, the one from the MISSING poster we had put up all over Mapleview four years ago -- the one on the news, in newspapers across the country. Now that my braces were off I could even smile like her, the way she had in our last family photo. The smile of a girl who was head cheerleader. Who had an older boyfriend. Who had secrets.
            I wanted so much to believe she was alive, to cling to hope like Mom. I tried. I let myself imagine that Sarah might walk through the door any day. At night, that hope failed me. In my nightmares, I saw all the terrible things that happen to girls like Sarah. When I woke, the vivid images still in my mind, my heart racing, I would lie in bed and watch the lights from the occasional car move over my ceiling and walls and think about the people in those cars. Where were they going? Where had they been, out so late? What were their lives like, lives without the giant gaping hole that is left when someone in your family goes missing?
I tried picture Sarah now, how she might look: older, her hair longer or shorter, her skin tanned golden like it had been the last time I saw her. As the days ticked by, the volume of her absence increased. Weeks turned into months and then into years. I knew the truth, even if I could never speak of it to anyone. I knew the darkened bedroom next to mine would always be empty, the door always shut, because this time Sarah wasn’t coming back.  


***


Cylin Busby is a best selling, award winning author of fiction and nonfiction books for young readers, numerous magazine articles and short stories. She lives in Los Angeles with her family.

Find out more about Cylin on her website and wikipedia page, and follow her on Twitter @cylinbusby.







***

Have you noticed there are 6 teams in the YA Scavenger Hunt this time? 6 is a great number, don't you think...?

Now continue to the next stop on the YA Scavenger hunt...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is for winners.