Monday, 3 October 2016

September Wrap-Up!

Welcome to Autumn.

September was, as expected, an exciting month. PURGE - my 3rd novel - was published by Firefly Press. This book is like the song of my nerdy little heart, and it's incredible to see it finally out there in the world. If you read it, please leave a review (especially on Amazon) - they mean others are more likely to see/buy the book, and then I won't starve.

I have a couple of events coming up in October where I'll get to talk about sci-fi and books generally, so my reading in September was mostly geared towards that. Here's what I read:


Let's start with the non-sci-fi: first I read THE LIE TREE by Frances Hardinge, which was a carry-over book from August, and well worth the wait! It's about a clergyman's daughter who discovers her father's research into anthropology has led him to a plant which feeds on lies, and a scandal which marks his death as a probable suicide. I'm not a huge fan of historical novels generally, but this book was so very intriguing and atmospheric I was gutted when it ended.

Then there was MARTYN PIG by Kevin Brooks, about a boy trying to figure out what to do when his father dies unexpectedly, and digging himself into a deeper and deeper hole; the only other book of his I've read so far is THE BUNKER DIARY, and this was also excellent, and a swift, voicy read.

Sci-fi-wise, I finished the Starbound trilogy by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner with THEIR FRACTURED LIGHT, which I thoroughly enjoyed and was a great conclusion to the saga. Things finally came to a head between the aliens known as the Whispers and the head of La Roux Industries, with all the main characters from the series playing a part in the action. And because I listened to the audio version (as I do with a lot of books), I want to add that I've decided that one of the narrators of THEIR FRACTURED LIGHT - Macleod Andrews - is officially my favourite YA audiobook narrator. His characters are so distinct and engaging, I get absolutely wrapped up in any audiobook he reads. So, there you go.

I also read Virginia Bergin's THE RAIN and THE STORM duology, which had great voice and a gripping story about Ruby - an English girl fighting to survive in a world where the rain has become toxic. I found it totally compulsive, and I loved Ruby.

Next up was ECHO BOY by Matt Haig, which has been on my TBR for over a year, and I was glad to finally read it. It had some really interesting ideas about the nature of humanity and how advances in technology don't necessarily equal a step forward in our evolution.

Finally I read ILLUMINAE by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, just in time to hanker after the sequel, which comes out soon (next month, I think?) A spacey thriller, with plenty of banter and a believable romance that twisted my heart at times, I got swept up in this book right from the start. Unsurprisingly (because it has one of the same authors) it had a very similar vibe and format to the Starbound trilogy, which is no bad thing as I loved those books. I'll be grabbing GEMINA very, very soon.

I have yet to read SF Said's PHOENIX and Lauren James' THE LAST BEGINNING, but I now have copies of both so will be blazing through them before our panel at YAShot on 22nd October!

Adventure-wise, I got out and about a bit in September. I also started posting short videos of some of the places I visit on Instagram - do follow me there, and check out the #katellisadventures tag if you just want to see the videos. But my pictures are cool too, so... y'know. Follow me.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics from my adventures.


A photo posted by Kat Ellis (@katelliswrites) on


A photo posted by Kat Ellis (@katelliswrites) on

Apart from that, I was busy writing (I know - it doesn't seem like it, does it?) But I'm now really close to finishing what I hope will be my next book, so we'll see how that goes in October.

I hope you had a great September! I'll be posting again for the YA Scavenger Hunt on Tuesday, so keep an eye out for that if you want to be in with a chance of winning a ton of books, including PURGE.

Kat out x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is for winners.