Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Write On: INSPIRING IMAGES


WRITE ON
If you follow me on twitter, you may have noticed I tend to tweet a lot of links to songs I'm listening to as I write, and photos I take on my weekend adventures. I'm not someone who can sit in a silent room  with the curtains drawn and write; having images and music to inspire me is a key part of my writing process. As I share my love of music in my monthly playlist posts, I thought I'd share some of my adventure images with you guys so you can see what I'm looking at when I dream up my stories.

 You'll notice I have a bit of a thing about creepy trees...
       

 

   




These were all taken in and around North Wales. I'm lucky that I live in a beautiful part of the world, and I find looking at the photos I take while I'm out and about - gorgeous scenery, creepy stuff, action shots, candid stills of people - help me find the words I want to write. They don't need to be connected with what's happening in my WIP, but just the colours, the mood, of a photo can put me in a writing frame of mind.



What kind of images do you use for inspiration?



14 comments:

  1. Great pics! Love the creepy trees! It's great that you get out and about to get inspires.

    I usually get a detailed idea in my head then I'll google images until I find something that is closest then I pin it to my WIP board on Pinterest. :)

    Hello Cedric! *smiles big cheezy smile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I totally meant to put "inspires". Competely intentional. yeah...

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I've never used Pinterest because I knew it would be one of those things I'd become addicted to and spend hours playing with without realising it, lol. Sounds like a great way to map out your WIP with images, though :D

      Delete
    3. Me, too, Kat. I refuse to go there. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, when I started using it, it was competely addicting but I think you just have to get that out of your system. So just let yourself OD on it for a day. Now I know how to limit my self :D Most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for searching out celebrities to play my characters, I keep some pics of them and any other random relevant images of hairstyles, places and things in the same folder with any sketches, spreadsheets, .scriv file etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I do the same. I spent QUITE a long time on Sunday casting my new WIP. There was a table involved.

      Delete
    2. I think I will need to see this eventually.. ;)

      Delete
    3. I'll email it to you... after you've read the MS ;)

      Delete
  4. Stunning images. Why go to Pandora when you can capture such magical shots on your own. And I love creepy trees too. --oh, the stories they can tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! So glad you like them. Good to know I'm not along with my creepy tree obsession ;)

      Delete
  5. Those are some gorgeous, creepy (although I prefer to say that they "have character") trees. Twisty turny trees make some of the coolest photos - especially if you don't happen to have any ancient castles/churches handy.

    For my inspiration, I do a lot of google searches. For example, "grand staircase" was a recent search of mine. And sometimes I get lost in wikipedia articles learning about far too many things and not actually doing any writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Ooh yes, I love interesting architecture pictures too. And I'm absolutely with you on the wiki-timesuck! But we get to call it 'research', after all, so technically it's not time-wasting. :)

      Delete

Commenting is for winners.